Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa - Pigment

Apparently The Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa is really big over in their native country of the Czech Republic, and they even charted in the UK. I'm surprised considering this is the first I'm hearing of them. An e-friend tipped me off to their EP Pigment from 1991.


Pigment is interesting to say the least. I'm not big on shoegaze, and honestly when fronted by a female it sounds significantly better than say, any project fronted by Neige. Kateřina Winterová's vocals are effects-driven and chilled out. Perfectly fitting for this style of music - however to be quite honest I'm not sure if she contributed on this early release. I'm pretty sure she did, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still new to the band's history.

Jan P. Muchow is the main driving force behind The Ecstasy Of Saint Theresa, and his work on here is pretty phenomenal. Despite being their first release, every single song on here is memorable, catchy, and noisy. "What's" begins with a nice, chunky clean-tone (at least for what I'm used to) guitar and proceeds to jam away. My mind tends to shut off as the vocalist's whimsical cleans follow the melodic leads. The drumming on here is something to note. The snare hits are wonderfully militant, giving each track a more pulsing, pounding rhythm. "Who's" even sports a d-beat and a great, high-register bassline.

The even numbered tracks are a bit more relaxed, and "Square Wave" is a acid-infused trip to the land of guitar effects and dreams. It gets noisy at times and that is entirely the appeal. The last track "Honeyrain" is a bit overly dramatic and somewhat melancholic, but it does work in context of the album. It's just not a track I'd go back to right away when picking a song off of Pigment.

7.75 out of 10


Tracklisting:

1. What's

2. Square Wave

3. Who's

4. Honeyrain

No comments:

Post a Comment