Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Bloody Valentine - M B V

This one's going to be quick. I'm busy.

Nobody was expecting Loveless, but I expected a bit more than this.


Maybe I let the hype get to me. Maybe the members of My Bloody Valentine have aged beyond repair. Maybe I just really hate synthesizers. Maybe it was this all combined with my opinion that Loveless was more of an archetype than a pinnacle of the shoegaze subgenre, which is hit or miss to begin with. Still the album has its moments outside of the boring-ass middle tracks spanning "Is This And Yes," "If I Am," and "New You." I guess "Only Tomorrow" fits the bill too but the layered effects on the guitar make it more appealing, and all of the above are far more poppy than I'd like to hear. I did enjoy the static rhythm of the droning opener and "Wonder 2." More accessible "In Another Way" features a bunch of harmonics that add some nice texture to an album that at times feels lighter than it should.

Color me jaded, but certainly not impressed.

5.5 out of 10

Tracklisting:
1. She Found Now
2. Only Tomorrow
3. Who Sees Now
4. Is This And Yes
5. If I Am
6. New You
7. In Another Way
8. Nothing Is
9. Wonder 2

Listen // Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment